The External Thermal Insulation System (ETICS) with STONEPANEL™ is intended for use as external thermal insulation for building walls, both for new construction projects and for renovation of existing buildings.
The use of STONEPANEL™ with the ETICS aims to give the wall on which it is installed a satisfactory thermal insulation. The system is based on a panel attached to the insulation of the wall with adhesive and mechanical fastening. The insulation is protected with a continuous coating, consisting of one or more layers of adhesive. Between them a mesh reinforcement is placed. The final layer of STONEPANEL™, a natural stone panel, is installed directly on the insulation with a coat of mortar and mechanical fastening.
THE EXTERNAL THERMAL INSULATION SYSTEM
The external thermal insulation system with STONEPANEL™ is carried out on the construction site with the following components:
1. SUBSTRATE OR WALL SUPPORT: suitable substrates for the application of external insulation system with STONEPANEL™, both for new construction and renovations, are as follows: cellular concrete blocks and thermoclay blocks.
2. WATERPROOF ADHESIVE: we recommend the application of ARDEX WPC or a similar product, as a waterproof adhesive which consists of two components: an acrylate dispersion, and a cement‐based powder. The function of this adhesive is to fix the insulation board to the support.
3. INSULATION BOARD: there are several types of insulation on the market, such as expanded polystyrene (EPS) and extruded polystyrene (XPS). The thickness of the insulation is dimensioned according to the requirements of each project, according to the official regulations. The external thermal insulation system with Stonepanel® is valid for expanded polystyrene (EPS) of minimum density 20 kg/m³ and maximum thickness 50 mm, and extruded polystyrene (XPS) for thicknesses up to 160 mm. We recommend the use of DOW extruded polystyrene sheets (XPS): STYROFOAM™ IBF‐A, with a density of 32kg/m³, or a similar product with equivalent characteristics.
4. 5.6. WATERPROOF ADHESIVE AND FIBERGLASS MESH: the same adhesive ARDEX WPC or a similar one, used for fixing the insulation boards to the wal is also used for coating, as an outer membrane. The application is made in two layers, between which the fiberglass mesh is placed. We recommended the application of fiberglass mesh 5×5 ADIMESH ARDEX 55, or equivalent. Its function is to reinforce the adhesive, thus giving the system the ability to withstand shocks and movements due to temperature fluctuations or shrinkage phenomena.
7. CEMENTITIOUS ADHESIVE: it is recommended the application of ARDEX FLEX X7G PLUS, C2‐type cementitious adhesive, or a similar one.
8. STONEPANEL™: this panel is composed of natural stone mounted on a reinforced mortar base with a fiberglass mesh. Each piece has a Z shape to avoid visible joints. Stonepanel® has a self‐anchoring system, whereby each individual panel must be anchored to the support.
9. SCREW: security screw in stainless steel, with a polyamide covering to avoid thermal bridges. Screws recommended are HILTI‐HRD‐UGT 8X140/90 or equivalent. The screw length depends on the thickness of the insulation used; it must penetrate the wall support a minimum depth of 40 to 50 mm. The type of wall plug will be the one recommended by the supplier for each type of wall.
10. ACCESSORIES: elements used to implement specific solutions and protect or support the system at particularly critical points.
For more information, check CUPA STONE website.